Salisbury Steak


                                                Otherwise known as "Poor Man's Steak"

This is a reasonably quick comfort food that can be prepared the day before and reheated in the crock pot or partially prepared and refrigerated to save time. It is delicious served with either noodles or mashed potatoes.


3 lbs. ground beef, or in my case part venison/beef
3 eggs
¾ cup milk
3 sleeves Ritz cracker, crushed fine
2-3 Tablespoons dried onions
Salt & Pepper
3 cans (10½ oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1½ cans water
Butter
Runion Mix

In a mixer bowl with whip attachment combine eggs, milk, dried onions, and salt and pepper.


                                                                    Whip them up.


Crush Crackers. To save some clean up I take a sleeve of crackers and crush the sleeve toward the center until the bag pops open;


                                      and then I crush them in the bag till they are fine.


                                                           Add to the egg mixture.


Mix well. Let set till the crackers have absorbed the liquid. If they look too dry add a little bit of milk.

                                                             Add the ground beef.


With the paddle attachment mix in the ground beef just until combined. Over mixing makes a solid, tough burger.


                                           Line a 10 x 15 baking pan with waxed paper.


              Press mixture evenly into pan and refrigerate several hour or over night.


Over night is best because it let's the ground beef get firm and is easier to handle. I didn't have time for that on this particular day so I tried to hurry the process by putting it in the freezer for a while.


                                                               It didn't work.


                                                               Cut in 18 pieces.


Melt butter in frying pan.


I used my electric frying pan that I only use when I'm in a hurry to fry a lot of something quickly. The reason I don't use it a lot is because of the non stick coating. I am looking for a stainless steel electric frying pan. If anyone can direct me to where I can purchase one I would be very happy!

Next up is the yummy Runion Mixture that I use on chicken, fish, or salisbury steak.


             Roll each piece in the runions and put into pan with the hot sizzling butter.


                                                  Let them brown till they look like this;


                                       then flip them around and do the same on that side.

In the meantime place the soup and the water into the blender, if you have one. If not simply whisk them together till they are smooth. I use the blender simply to mask the mushroom pieces to avoid issues later.☺


Once the frying is all finished, drain the pourable butter out of the pan, but leave the browned bits in there. Then add the blended soup/water mixture to the pan.


Whisk together to gather all the bits into the soup and pour over the fried steaks in the crockpot.


Like I said these can be fully prepared the day before and reheated, or just kept warm in the crock pot till your mealtime. I usually like to give them at least some time in the crock pot to ensure them being fully cooked. If you refrigerate them they will take a while longer to heat through, so give them plenty of time.

Linking to:
This Weeks Cravings

Be Blessed!

Comments

  1. It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is and where do i find runions, never heard of it. We love poor mans steak--- would like to try your recipe.
    Elsie G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Pam!

    Elsie I purchase it at a bulk food store in Holmes County. I have a sister that lives neighbors to that place and I am planning to ask her to send some out to me. I will let you know when it arrives if you want me to. I have not been able to find it out here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels