Coconut Chia Granola and Things That Make Me Happy




I've been out of granola for quite a while and really missed having it around. I had ingredients for this one in the cupboard ever since I had bought a box with the same name at Costco. It's amazingly delicious! While I didn't have all the correct ingredients listed on said box and no measurements for anything, (I like to guess and experiment :) I'm quite pleased with the end result and look forward to fresh fruit and Greek yogurt parfaits once again!

6 cups Rolled Oats
2 cups Shredded Coconut
¼ cup Ground Golden Flax Seeds
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
 
Mix together in a bowl.
 
 
¼ cup Olive Oil
¼ cup Butter
3-4 Tablespoons Cane Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Molasses
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
 
Coconut Shavings, optional
¼ cup Chia Seeds
 
In a small saucepan combine the butter and oil. Heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Stir in molasses and stir well. Add the cane sugar last and stir over low heat until it boils. Boil for about one minute. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Stir well.
 
Pour over oat mixture in bowl and toss to coat. I stirred it a bit with a spoon then waited till it was cool enough and mixed it by hand till it was evenly mixed.
 
Pour onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake @325° for 10 minutes. Stir and return to the oven. Continue baking, stirring every 5 minutes until coconut is evenly toasted. Add the Chia seeds about halfway through the baking process.
 
Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

- the yogurt but still fabulous!
 
                                                                                          
 
Now for some Happy Things
 
 Outside my kitchen window
 
The last part of May and the month of June are my favorite of all because everything is lush and green and all the flowers are fresh and beautiful and the bugs have not had time yet to be a pain.
 
front porch
 
I've always loved bird houses but this one is extra special. It's made from materials from the original barn where I grew up. More importantly it was crafted by my parents (Dad cut and put it together and Mom painted it/them, they made some for all of us) who have always been creative with their hands. I have fond memories of hanging out in my Dads wood shop as he crafted anything from buggies to furniture of all kinds. The last few years before he quit completely (before cancer) he made sewing machine cabinets. These kept him busy doing what he loved.
 

 I love to sit here and unwind after a long day chatting with anyone who sits down with me :)
 
 

 And here are the ones who make my life complete.
 
Last week was super busy and not once did we get to eat supper together all at the same time!Saturday came and late in the afternoon I saw that it would happen again if we didn't quit doing projects and just make time. So I asked one of the boys to start a campfire and Serena perked up right away and started bringing the necessary things for a simple time together catching up, relaxing and enjoying the company of family time together. It was much needed and so lovely to sit and bask Nature's beauty too.
 
♥Blessings!♥

 


Comments

  1. This looks delicious and I bet it doesn't last long around your house with all those handsome men! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's the truth Chris. Those handsome men do not eat granola! gasp, I know! Serena and I get to enjoy it by ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I must try that granola! Funny thing is...I just made the last granola and yogurt parfait of my other recipe and am eating it as I read this! I guess it's time for yours to be made now! haha. I love coconut, so I'm sure I would love this!
    None of our boys eat granola...just the mister and me! ha.

    I just love your window box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I love the scent of the little white flowers in the window box!

      They don't know what they're missing, eh?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Seasoned Pretzels

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake