Homemade Crockpot Applebutter



Wow a lot has been happening and I feel a little disconnected from all of you. I've had a very busy week and it looks to me like life will continue on at this pace for quite a while yet! I always thought once our kids get older things would slow down, ha, that was an illusion! So, for those of you out there thinking the same thing, settle in, just because they're older certainly doesn't mean you will have more time. It only means you no longer have to give them a bath and wash their hair and  brush their teeth. But you have more laundry, etc. etc. etc. Not complaining here, just sayin'. ☺

I was browsing Pinterest and found something that intrigued me enough to try it out and I was very pleased with the end result! It was Homemade Crockpot Apple Butter. Delicious and super easy! and so yummy with fresh, warm from the oven Butterhorns. And it would be perfect for the half moon pies my Mom used to make, but those will be for another post.

This is what I used:
adapted from the one on allrecipes.com
7 lbs. assorted apples
peeled, cored, and shredded
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix. Transfer to a crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour.





Then cook on low for 11 hours, stirring occasionally. I put mine in and cooked it overnight and stirred it when I happened to wake up around 3:00 and smelled it. But otherwise I didn't stir it that much in those 11 hours.

3:00 in the morning

Once the mixture is thickened and dark brown remove the lid and turn to high again and cook for an additional 5½ hours to bring it down to a thickened to the right consistency. Stir occasionally with a wire whisk scrape down sides to avoid burning.




After this I removed the crockpot insert and let it cool completely before refrigerating it.




 The yield is approximately 7-8 cups.

Be Blessed!


Visit thecsiproject.com

Linked to: Friday Food, Weekend Soiree, Sundae Scoop, Six Sisters, On The Menu, Creative Blog Hop, Make You Crave, Stitch and Niche Saturdays 

Comments

  1. Looks so goood! Will it keep in the fridge or will you can it? Patti@PrettyOldHouses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple butter!! I do hope you'll come by and link up at my party, Stitch n' Niche Saturdays. Here's the link in case you want to join in. http://www.coffeeandtheirkisses.com/2011/10/stitch-n-niche-saturdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, Thanks for sharing!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! What a great way to make apple butter. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I love apple butter and this recipe makes it sound very easy! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love for you come link this up to The CSI Project this week starting wednesday at midnight. It is the slow cooker challenge and this is perfect.
    Come by all week for great recipes and tutorials.
    Hugs
    Dee
    www.thecsiproject.com
    November 13, 2011 9:10 PM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels