Butterhorns


Don't be fooled by the plain nondescriptness of the picture. These babies are fresh and warm and so good with the fresh Applebutter I had made the day or so before these. I have made them before but never with freshly ground barley flour. I liked that they had more of a whole grain texture but were still tender and fluffy. I also added the regular Gold Medal all-purpose flour. I did not allow myself to eat more than a few of these total because I am in reduction mode and bread is a killer for me so I try not to even give in to the cravings much. So far, so good. ☺ I thought it took them sort of long to rise, so maybe the instant yeast in my freezer feels a bit tired , not sure, but they did turn out really nice in the end.

The ingredients:
2 Tablespoons instant yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons warm water

1 cup butter, melted
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
6 eggs, well beaten
2 teaspoons salt

4½ cups fresh barley flour
4 cups all purpose flour

¼ cup butter, melted
additional flour for dusting

Dissolve yeast and sugar in water.


Add the butter, milk, sugar, eggs, salt. Give it a stir.


Then add the flours a few cups at a time. Knead for a few minutes until you feel like it is well combined.


Let rise till doubled. This took long, about 2 hours, but it was a cool day and I suspect the yeast in my freezer needs to be replaced.


Next I took about 1lb. and 5oz. and formed a ball and placed it on a sprayed surface. Sprinkle with a bit of flour to avoid sticking to the rolling pin. (The dough is a bit sticky to work with so I put a small amount of olive oil on my hands.)


I rolled it out to the largest circle. Brush with melted butter. Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.


Starting at the wide edge roll them tightly into a crescent shape and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (Lightly spray the parchment paper.)


Let rise.


Bake @ 350° for 15-20 minutes or till golden over the top.


My friend Naomi who shared the recipe with me says she sometimes puts them on the baking sheet and freezes them before they rise and stores them frozen till she's ready to use them. Allow 3-4 hours thawing and rising time before baking. Perfect for a Sunday morning if you want to serve fresh warm rolls to family or guests. They are delicious!

Be Blessed!

On The Menu, Creative Blog Hop, Make You Crave Monday, See Ya In The Gumbo

Comments

  1. I love butterhorns and your version sounds wonderful. I like the healthier flours that you've used. I really enjoyed the time I spent here today. I'll be making these rolls very soon. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up with See Ya In the Gumbo. I also like the use of a healthier flour. Good to know they still came out tender. These must have been fantastic with homemade apple butter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Seasoned Pretzels

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake