Harvest Grape Pie

Makes me Happy! :)
 
 
Concord Grape Pie is one of my favorites so last weekend when I was canning grape juice I decided to keep some grapes out for this purpose and possibly some bars of some kind?
 
I knew I had these 10 boxes of grapes coming but was not expecting them to be ready on Friday. 5 bushels sounds like a lot, and it kind of is, but it's really not that bad if you have no other plans, haha! 
Friday morning my husband was scheduled for eye surgery (Lasik) and we had planned to have a birthday party on Saturday night for our son, inviting the youth group from church and his senior class.
I picked up the grapes after school Friday and got busy!! It all worked out and we were not late for anything :) but it was a reminder that those 400 miles between me and my sisters and Mom are sometimes very unhandy!! Especially when I'm in a pinch, oh and a host of other times when it would just be nice to have them stop in or if I could do the same. But alas it is not to be so I don't usually spend a lot of time with the pity parties. It's pointless! :) But sometimes...
 
 
Who says you need fancy tools for everything? haha
These were my artsy tools I used to create the design on top.
All you need is imagination :)
 
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
 
7 cups Concord Grapes, remove stems
8 cups water
½ cup sugar
Stevia, to taste
Pinch of Salt
½ teaspoon lemon juice
 
Clear Jel
(approximately 6 heaping serving spoons)
water
 
Place the grapes and water into a large kettle and bring to a boil. Boil gently till grapes are very soft and thoroughly cooked. Press through a medium sieve to remove the seeds. You want as much pulp as possible. Return to kettle and add the next four ingredients. Bring to a boil and thicken with clear jel. It should be pretty thick so it doesn't run all over the place when you cut and serve it but not so thick that it seems like the Great Wall of China!
 
Allow to cool completely, or at least mostly before baking in a pie. This prevents the filling from bubbling out through the holes and over the sides making an unsightly mess in your oven. :) I don't know about you but I don't have time for those kinds of messes!
 
Fit the bottom crust into a deep 9 inch glass Pyrex Pie Pan, allowing the extra to hang down over the edge. Fill approximately ¾ full. Brush the edge slightly with water to help the top crust to seal better. Fit the top crust over the filling. Press gently to seal, trim the extra dough and flute the edges.
 
Bake @ 400° for 30 minutes. I like to set it on the center rack for the first 15-20 minutes and then lower the rack one notch. This helps the bottom crust to bake better while baking the top a nice golden color without over baking it.
 
This makes enough for approximately 2 pies.
 
 
Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels