Apple Dumplings



Somehow with the onset of Fall weather I usually start thinking about these with their delicate crust and delicious apple flavor. The sauce is divine and when served warm with ice cream and coffee or tea they are truly hard to resist. 


For the crust:                
2 cups flour                   
  1/4 tsp salt                       
1/4 cup butter, softened  
2/3 cup sour cream        
         
6 medium apples            
          
       For the stuffing:                    
1/2 cup sugar                  
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter,       
softened
2 Tablespoons pecans or
walnuts, optional

milk and egg,
for brushing
white sugar,
for dusting    

Sauce:                            
1/2 cup brown sugar       
2 Tablespoons butter      
1/2 cup whipping cream 
1 Tablespoon vanilla      

In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture forms course crumbs. Add sour cream and stir gently with a fork until it forms a ball. 
 
The ball isn't formed yet, but I'm adding the sour cream :)

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to make a 12 x 18 inch rectangle. Cut into 6 squares.



I like to take each square and roll it out some more for a thinner, more delicate crust. Place a peeled apple in the center and stuff the center of the apple with sugar and cinnamon mixture. I also like to peel the apples with a peeler/slicer because I don't like a big, solid apple chunk in my pastries.




Fold dough up around the apple and seal the seams. Place seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking pan. Brush with beaten milk and egg mixture and dust with white sugar. Prick with a fork and bake for 35-45 minutes.



When these are about done baking the juices start running out of the crust. To avoid a soggy crust I usually take them out of the oven at this point and transfer them to another pan lined with a fresh piece of parchment paper, but by all means don't throw the juices away, add them to the sauce ingredients. It adds a wonderful flavor! Return them to the oven and continue baking until they are done. If the juices still run out, I put them on another clean sheet after they are done baking, to cool them. I know, sounds like a pain but I hate a soggy crust every bit as much as I dislike a big, solid chunk of apple!


Combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Add the nuts.



 Serve over warm dumplings. If you want to get fancy you can add the leaf garnishes but I can assure you they are just as delicious without.


                              
Be Blessed!
                                                
 
  

Comments

  1. wow, I love the way you do whole apples, I always cut mine in half, but these look so pretty, I think I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were closer , i would get you to make me some food ! :)
    Verna

    ReplyDelete
  3. i luv apple dumplings and so does my family---never made a sauce though but it sounds good. i need to try it soon.
    Elsie G

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Seasoned Pretzels

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake