Stuffed Crust Stromboli

                                                                                                                            


I made this Stromboli tonight in an attempt to fill the boys up. It may have lasted for an hour. They were working and playing hard today and I also heard them lifting weights. Where do they get all their energy?!

We have a small woods here beside the area where our fire ring is that I have often wished would be cleared a bit for some plans that keep floating around in my head but it's filled with lots of scrubby trees and briers. So I made a little deal with the boys and they've been working out there after school and Saturdays cutting down some trees (Dad helps with that if needed) and chopping the wood for firewood to sell. They worked up quite an appetite doing this! It's always fun to cook or bake something I know they will enjoy when they are very hungry.

The crust recipe for this come from my sister Becky but I played around with it a little because I wanted to use some freshly milled whole grain flour along with the white. It turned out really good and I was amazed at the amount they 'put away!' I guess it shouldn't surprise me anymore but it still does at times. There's a reason why the grocery store and I are good friends! Anyway, on to the goodies-

For the Crust:
2 Tablespoons Instant Yeast
3 Tablespoons sugar
2-2/3 cups warm water
Combine and let set for 5 minutes. Then add
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Mix; then add
2 cups freshly ground wheat flour
4 cups AP white flour

1 egg
water
beat together
for brushing over the top

Knead for a few minutes in mixer bowl and then cover and allow to rise till double. (This makes approximately 3 pieces that are around 1lb. 4oz. each.)

Roll out 1 piece at a time on a surface sprayed with non stick spray. I didn't measure but it looked something like this when I was done.


Fill with your favorite pizza toppings. In 2 of the pieces I used pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese slices, cooked, crumbled, seasoned sausage*, chipped turkey ham, pepperoni, and parmesan cheese. Fold the far side towards you and the ends in.


Because I really don't enjoy Stromboli that is mostly dough and not much else I filled it up with lots of toppings and put a second layer of sliced cheese between the two folds of dough. Fold the last side up and over the cheese slices and seal the edges. Place seam side down on a baking sheet and let rise for about 10 minutes. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle seasonings of your choice and parmesan cheese over top.

Bake @375° for 20-25 minutes.

*I bought plain loose sausage and seasoned it with these, for a delicious flavor.

~Blessings~

Comments

  1. Now there's a stromboli I would eat. Too many are all dough and no filling. Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels