Honeyed Coconut Almond Granola


 ♥♥♥
 

A couple of months ago when I made this I made a little discovery which led me to this granola. It was the fact that heating the honey and mixing it with the unsweetened coconut and almonds creates the granola texture I enjoy from commercial granolas. You know, little clumps of chewy goodness in the midst of satisfying crunchiness. And it tastes like candy. The fact that candy is no longer a part of my daily diet made this seem like good news. :) It's also simple and doesn't have an ingredient list as long as my arm. That makes it seem like a bonus too.

Preheat oven to 350.
 
5 cups Rolled Oats
5 cups Organic Brown Rice Cereal
3 cups Unsweetened Coconut
3 cups Sliced Almonds
1½ cups Raw Honey
¼ cup Ground Flax Seeds
 
 
 
On a baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper) toast the Oats for about 10 minutes.
 
Meanwhile combine the coconut and almonds in a bowl. Heat the raw honey till it is melted. Pour over coconut mixture and toss to coat. Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes stirring several times. Watch closely so it doesn't brown too much.
 
When the oats is done toasting a bit, remove from the oven and add the Organic brown rice krispies and the ground flax seeds. Toss to combine.
 
coconut mixture ready for the oven
 
 
When the coconut mixture is browned a little toss it with the oat mixture on your baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes, stirring once. Again, watch closely because it gets dark quickly towards the end of the baking time.
 
 
I used extra large baking sheets and when it was all combined on the one it was really full, so if you need to use smaller sheets you may want to use 2 of them.
 
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
 
                                                                              
 
I'm pleased to tell you that my Father-In-Law is at home from the hospital and feels well. Recovery will still be long, but he's home! What a blessing!
 
                                                                                
 
I took a walk through the yard yesterday to assess what I'll be up against when I get serious about working outside in the Spring. I came in again when I started getting that overwhelmed feeling :).
 
Deep breath. I know that one day at a time, one flowerbed at a time, not obsessing about perfection, and starting the work soon will be what will get me there. I can do this! :)
 
The sun is beautiful and invigorating today and the birdsongs bring the promise of Spring. I feel happy that this week brings the beginning of March and the gray months will soon be a distant memory. I know, sometimes we get a major snowstorm in March. That's okay, Spring is still closer every day! :) As much as I enjoy the slower pace of Winter, Spring is still one of my favorite seasons!
 
Praying a blessing for each of you today!
 
 


Comments

  1. I love homemade granola... this looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and it REALLY does taste like candy - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love granola and coconut, so I'm sure I would love this! I've never seen that brown rice...will have to look for that.

    so glad your FIL is home...recovery is always better in your own home/bed/etc. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. homemade granola is the best way to start the day - GREAT ingredients :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make granola often, I'm always looking for a new recipe. This looks yummy, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am obsessed with granola. I love that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful Martha and I love your little trick with the honey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Seasoned Pretzels

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake