Two fabulous BAKED OATMEALS for you

I was inspired by my neighbor and walking partner, Myma, a few weeks ago when I got to her house
 to go for our walk. She wasn't quite ready to leave, and as I was waiting for her I happened to see some baked oatmeal on her island from their breakfast, so I went over to taste it and discovered that she had put apple pie filling in the bottom. Hmmm, I thought that looks good. And it was! So this past week when some of my family were here for a visit I decided to try it out on them. The first morning I made it with apples and cinnamon and nutmeg and the second morning I used blueberries. It was scrumptious!!! For breakfast we ate it with vanilla yogurt and later we had it with ice cream. Both were fabulous!! So I will share both recipes with you and hope you will enjoy them! Sometime when the peaches are in season I would like to try those, either alone or combined with blueberries. Mmmm, yummy!!

Spray an 11 x 8 inch glass baking dish with non stick spray, turn oven to 350°.

                                                           For the Blueberry Oatmeal:
                                                           2½ cups regular or
                                                           3 cups wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
                                                           3 tablespoons white sugar

                                                           For the Apple Spice Oatmeal:
                                                           2 large apples, I used yellow delicious
                                                           1 tablespoon lemon juice
                                                           3 tablespoons white sugar
                                                           Cinnamon, generously sprinkle over apples
                                                           Nutmeg, generously sprinkle over apples



Measure into prepared pan and mix together. (If using frozen blueberries I thaw them slightly in the microwave.) Let set for a few minutes till the juices have time to blend. Then top with oatmeal batter and bake for 45 minutes or until done.



                                                           For the batter:
                                                          1 cup brown sugar
                                                          ½ cup butter, softened
                                                          2 eggs

Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and mix well. Then add:

                                                         2 teaspoons baking powder
                                                         ¼ teaspoon salt
                                                         1 teaspoon cinnamon*
                                                    
Then alternately add the oats and milk, mixing just until blended. Pour over apples or blueberries and spread evenly.

                                                         3 cups rolled oats
                                                         1 cup milk

Most recipes call for quick oats but I like to use rolled oats for a chewy texture. If you use rolled oats the batter seems kind of runny at first but it just takes the liquid longer to soak into the oats, it will be fine.

*I only add the cinnamon to the batter for the blueberry oatmeal.





Linking to:
The Tattered Tag
Be Blessed!

                                                  

Comments

  1. i love b. oatmeal & this looks like another winner...yummyness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some up for grabs if you want to stop in and get it :) I have both so take your pick. I ate some maple syrup and vanilla yogurt with my apple oatmeal this morn. It was YUM but the blueberry is def my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, Im going to try the blueberry tomorrow, they both sound wonderful.I was telling a friend about it and sent her to your blog now you have a new fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janie! Were you pleased with the oatmeal you made?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels