Bird Suet

It's for the birds!


I found this suet recipe years ago in the Birds and Blooms Magazine and have been using it ever since. Birds of all kinds love it and flock to it.

Today when I went outside to hang it up a bunch of bluebirds flew off of the house roof. This is sort of a miracle to me because last Spring the stray cat we had pitied (for the sake of my daughter) ate the bluebirds that were nesting in a house in the backyard perrenial border. All summer we saw nothing of any bluebirds which made me sad indeed. So I asked God to send even just one pair, please... and thank you. A couple of months ago I saw the first one and now I frequently see as many as six or more bluebirds! He does care about the little things!!☺ I feel blessed to have these beauties back where I can see them every day!

This is what you will need:


2 cups lard
2 cups chunky peanut butter
2/3 cup white sugar
4 cups rolled oats
4 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour

Combine peanut butter and lard in a large kettle.


Melt on low till smooth.


Add the sugar and stir till it is dissolved.


Add the rolled oats;

                   
the cornmeal;


the flour. Mixing well after each addition.

Line a baking sheet (bakers half sheet size) with waxed paper. Press suet mixture evenly into pan.


Cut into squares. Place in a cool place and allow to get firm. I set mine outside and let it get hard.

Take a knife through the cut marks again and fill the suet feeder. The extra suet keeps well in the freezer.

The birds will love you for this!☺


Be Blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels