Moist Dark Chocolate Layer Cake w/Oreo Buttercream


Because it was Anthony's birthday I asked him what kind of cake he wants me to bake. I should have known ☺ he always picks a chocolate layer cake. I try different ones about every year but this one is by far my favorite as far as cakes go. He likes dark chocolate so I thought I would use that instead of just the regular cocoa. I also had some buttermilk in the fridge that needed using so in place of the water in the recipe I used that. It turned out very moist and delicious and is even better a few days later. I added crushed Oreos to a basic Butter Cream Icing (my favorite for a cake). So. Good! It turned out just like I thought it would and "Buddy" was quite happy with his dark chocolate cake.☺

Ingredients:
2 cups AP flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup dark chocolate cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 cup Mayonnaise

Basic Butter Cream Icing
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup Crisco
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk, maybe more
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 Oreos, crushed

For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray and line 2 (9 inch) round pans with waxed paper cut to fit.


In a medium bowl, combine flour, dark chocolate cocoa, baking soda and powder, set aside.

In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at high speed for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down sides occasionally. Reduce speed to low; beat in mayonnaise till well blended. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Pour into prepared pans, evenly divided.Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool in pans for a few minutes then run a sharp knife around the edges carefully. Invert onto waxed paper and a wire rack.


Carefully peel the waxed paper off the cake and allow to cool completely. Ice with your favorite Icing.


For the Icing: Combine all ingredients in a mixer bowl (except Oreos) and whip with the paddle attachment until it's fluffy. Then add the crushed Oreos.



Be Blessed!

Comments

  1. Now that looks delicious! My kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this via pinterest and it is AMAZING!!!! Making it for a second time tonight for house guests. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels