Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Moist Dark Chocolate Layer Cake w/Oreo Buttercream


Because it was Anthony's birthday I asked him what kind of cake he wants me to bake. I should have known ☺ he always picks a chocolate layer cake. I try different ones about every year but this one is by far my favorite as far as cakes go. He likes dark chocolate so I thought I would use that instead of just the regular cocoa. I also had some buttermilk in the fridge that needed using so in place of the water in the recipe I used that. It turned out very moist and delicious and is even better a few days later. I added crushed Oreos to a basic Butter Cream Icing (my favorite for a cake). So. Good! It turned out just like I thought it would and "Buddy" was quite happy with his dark chocolate cake.☺

Ingredients:
2 cups AP flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup dark chocolate cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 cup Mayonnaise

Basic Butter Cream Icing
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup Crisco
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk, maybe more
1 teaspoon vanilla
10 Oreos, crushed

For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray and line 2 (9 inch) round pans with waxed paper cut to fit.


In a medium bowl, combine flour, dark chocolate cocoa, baking soda and powder, set aside.

In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at high speed for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down sides occasionally. Reduce speed to low; beat in mayonnaise till well blended. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Pour into prepared pans, evenly divided.Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool in pans for a few minutes then run a sharp knife around the edges carefully. Invert onto waxed paper and a wire rack.


Carefully peel the waxed paper off the cake and allow to cool completely. Ice with your favorite Icing.


For the Icing: Combine all ingredients in a mixer bowl (except Oreos) and whip with the paddle attachment until it's fluffy. Then add the crushed Oreos.



Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Now that looks delicious! My kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this via pinterest and it is AMAZING!!!! Making it for a second time tonight for house guests. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete