Delicious Potato Soup

                                                              MMM MMM, GOOD!


When I was in my early teens my Mom asked me to make potato soup for supper one evening. I was just beginning my career in the kitchen on my own but I knew in order for me to enjoy supper that evening I was going to have to do something drastic to the bland concoction we were used to when potato soup was served. I'm not sure exactly what I did to it that evening, but I do remember my Dad commenting that there is nothing the matter with my taste buds! As you can imagine I was beaming from ear to ear and that compliment from my Dad gave me confidence for more experimenting!☺

Years later after we were married we were visiting friends in another state and I was looking through my friends cookbooks when I came across a version of this one. With a little tweaking I made it into the recipe that I will share with you. It is delicious, hearty, and full of flavor.


1 quart milk
1 lb. bacon, ground, fried, and well drained
6 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
½ cup celery, chopped fine
4 cups diced potatoes, divided
(if I have leftover mashed potatoes I use those, but then the milk might have to be adjusted)
Shredded carrots for color, optional
salt
pepper
Greek Seasoning
Seasoned Salt

Grind the bacon.



If you have a handsome son with dimples that badly needs something to do on a wintry day, get him to do it! ☺


Fry the bacon till it's a nice golden color.


Drain well through a sieve. Set aside.


Put butter into the same pan and add the chopped veggies.


Saute until tender.


Add the bacon (reserve some for garnish if desired) seasonings (to your taste), and 1 cup of potato chunks.


Give it a stir.


Add the milk.


Heat through.

Meanwhile mash the remaining potatoes and add to the rest of the soup to thicken. If it's too thick add more milk. Or if it's too thin for your taste you can add some instant potato flakes to thicken it.

Adjust seasonings to your taste.


I like a good flavor but it's easy to get too much salt in it, so be careful with that.

YUMMY! It's worth all the fat that lurks in there. I can be trusted in this!☺

Be Blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Seasoned Pretzels

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake