I've had the recipe for this coffee cake in my recipe stash for years and never made it. Every time I would clean out my books I just couldn't pitch it. I think the shape of it was what intrigued me. After tasting it today, I can.not.imagine.why it took me sooo long to make it!! It is absolutely scrumptious!!! I mean how could it not be good??!! Maple syrup, butter, brown sugar, maple icing, and of course the soft warm dough. Two of my sons took a bite and the one said,"I might have to come back for more, that stuff is good!" and the other one said,"That thing is AMAZING!" And it was so easy to prepare. So without further ado here it is.
3¼-3½ cups all purpose flour (Gold Medal), divided
3 Tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ Tablespoons Instant Yeast
¾ cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon maple extract
½ cup powdered sugar
2-3 teaspoons milk
1/8 teaspoon maple extract
1. In a large mixer bowl (I used my Bosch), combine 1½ cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until very warm (120-130°F).
3. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Blend on low speed for 3 minutes. Scrape sides and beat on medium for 3 minutes more.
4. Transfer to a Tupperware mixing bowl that has a lid. With a spoon, stir in remaining flour until dough is stiff. You might have to knead with your hand a little to finish it. Grease the bottom and lower sides of the bowl, place dough round in the bowl and cover with the lid. Let rise for 1½ hours.
5. Combine filling ingredients.
6. Divide dough into 2 parts. Roll each out to a 12 inch round. Place 1 round on a greased 12 inch pizza pan, I used a baking stone. Spread with filling almost out to the edges. (I put the filling into the microwave for about 15 seconds to bring it to spreadable consistency). Place the second round on top. Seal edges.
7. Make 5 inch cuts, 1 inch apart from outside edges. Twist each strip.
I messed up on this by not reading the directions properly and started the twisting without enough cuts. I ended up untwisting and correcting it. Save yourself some time ☺ and cut them 1 inch apart on the outside edge. ☺
8. Let rise 1 hour in a warm place. I did mine in the oven with the light on.
9. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
10. Combine the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over warm cake.
11. Get ready to be amazed!!
Sweet Tooth Friday
Food Fight Friday
Sweets for a Saturday
Weekend Wrap Up
Debbies Newbie Party
All Thingz Related
Two Maids A Baking
The Tattered Tag
Swing Into Spring
Yum ~ Top 5
Delightully Inspiring Thursday
This Weeks Cravings
Tea Time Tuesday