Sunday, May 29, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

PERFECTLY YUM!


This is a simple recipe that my sister Rosanna shared with me years ago and because the topping is one of the best parts I decided I would add a double recipe of topping whenever I bake it. I will give the double dose recipe to you. With fresh picked strawberries from my garden it is hard to beat for an easy summer dessert!

For the cake:
3 cups Bisquick
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk

Topping:
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons butter, melted

In a bowl combine all the cake ingredients and mix. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread evenly.

Mix topping ingredients and spread over top.



Bake at 350° for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


I had baked mine in a smaller pan (11.5 x 8) but it took about 45 minutes and I had to cover the top with foil to keep it from getting to brown and then the bottom of it was too dark so the next time I would bake it in a 9 x 13 pan.

We ate our lunch on our shaded patio today and this is what we feasted our eyes on as we ate.

William Baffin rose

              We were also sitting close to a blooming honeysuckle vine. Oh my!  

Linking to:
Keep It Simple Sunday      
Made It Monday                                      

5 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to be able to pick fresh strawberries and then use them in this wonderful recipe! I need to get planting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a big bowl of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a William Baffin and it looks nothing like yours!
    That is gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good I found you on RecipesUS.com love your blog.
    Check out mine if you get time

    http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is sooo good! Found it just in time for strawberry season here in PA. The crumb topping is out of this world. I however did not use the doubled recipe. I baked in a 9x13 pan for 32 minutes and it was perfect. This will be my go to shortcake recipe! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete