Strawberry Danish


Seventeen (almost) years ago when I married and moved here from Ohio I was sure the folks in Pa. were woefully deprived because strawberry season came and I couldn't find anywhere the Danish Dessert (in a box) that my Mom always used for pies and desserts. Thankfully my MIL shared this recipe with me and I have never since then wished for a boxed Danish Dessert from Ohio.☺ Makes me laugh now to think how I was sure that I couldn't cook without that stuff.☺

This recipe only has 3 ingredients. It is super easy and so yummy!

I mark favorite recipes with a smiley☺


1 cup clear jel, (cook type)
2 cups sugar
2 pkg. strawberry Kool-Aid

Mix together and store in an airtight container.

When ready to use mix ¾ cup dry mix and 2 cups water. Cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring constantly.

When I don't have fresh strawberries on hand I thaw the chopped frozen ones (1 quart) from our freezer and drain the juice and use it as part of the water. This gives your topping a true strawberry color and also enhances the flavor. I prefer that taste and color but I like the fresh strawberries in season too, so sometimes I enjoy the best of both worlds but today I just used the fresh ones and the recipe as is. I hope you try it!☺

When I use it to make strawberry pie I like to add a lot of fresh sliced strawberries to the cold danish till it's the right consistency. If I'm using the thawed, drained berries it works to add them before it's completely cold.

Be Blessed!

Comments

  1. That is a super smart way to make gel. I bet it tastes much better than the store gel. Perfect for the pies my family loves! Thanks for linking it up!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids would LOVE this! Thanks for visiting. Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything strawberry. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this recipe before but it is a great idea for improving the look and flavor of less than prime berries. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy weekend! Don't forget to come over and share a recipe at Savory Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another yummy looking recipe. :)

    Thanks for sharing with So Sweet Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice idea to use a smiley. I've just featured your ice cream dessert with brownie and peanut butter. :-) Don't forget to link up at Joy of Desserts again. It's great having you share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels