Summer Taco Salad

Family Favorite


I had a busy day today picking and hulling strawberries, running errands, driving my children here and there to places they needed to be, and making a stop at my favorite Re-Uzit Shoppe ☺ so I didn't want to make anything too time consuming for our supper. Plus I knew that my husband was working outside in 90° weather and wouldn't be hungry for too much of anything.

 I thought of this salad that's been around forever and is a perfect summer supper if served with corn on the cob (we had it with this) or baked or mashed potatoes. We ate a lot of this as I was growing up and we never got tired of it! The boys and Lin really enjoy it too, but we are still trying to convince Serena that it is good to eat! Eventually she will come around ☺ certain food textures do not seem agree with her.

It goes together in a jiffy if you have the ground beef prepared beforehand.  It needs time to cool completely.

Meat Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef, browned, drained, and cooled completely
1 medium onion, chopped
2½ Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
8 ounces water

Brown ground beef in a pan with the onion until meat is no longer pink. Drain. I like to pour the meat into a collander and run very hot water over it to remove the unwanted grease. A trick I learned from one of my sisters.☺ What would I do without them?! They have taught me so much!


Return to pan and add the taco seasoning and water.


Stir well and simmer over low heat uncovered until the liquid is gone. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Salad Ingredients:
1½ lbs. lettuce, approx. 3 heads pre-bagged Romaine, I like to use Romaine or sometimes Iceberg because it's a sturdy lettuce, and crunchy
1-2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
½ bag Doritoes Chips, crushed
Diced Tomato

Dressing Ingredients:



1 cup Miracle Whip
½ cup Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Sweet pickle Relish
2 Tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons Taco Seasoning

Combine in a bowl; mix well.


Wash and drain the lettuce. Cut and put into a bowl big enough to mix it in. Just before serving add the onion, ground beef, cheese, chips, and tomatoes.



 Pour dressing over top and toss to coat.



 Serve immediately.

Linking to:
Be Blessed!

Comments

  1. Oooo ~ got busy in the garden and forgot about breakfast ~ my tummy is growling. Think I'm going to have to pull this together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds very yummy! And thanks for the trick about removing the grease, that is so ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect summer salad for the family! Thanks for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome and so colorful. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe. You have some awesome recipes here... just loving them! Found you at Sherry's Home Sweet Home party and I'm happily following you.~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I will definitely want to give this one a try!

    Kristy @ www.darnneardomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my all time favorites! I do a vegetarian style but it's all the same to me!! :) Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! Thanks for sharing it at the June Salad Round Up at Seaside Simplicity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I didn't have my sugar bowl right in front me I would have thought you had been here taking mine :)
    I'm thinking taco salad for dinner tonight myself after seing this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect dinner for a group of hungry boys! thank you for sharing!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. That salad looks fabulous. I could definitely go for some of that! I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! I am your newest follower! I would love it if you followed me back! I look forward to all your yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been "featured" today... thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe! Your recipe was the MOST clicked on from the linky party, CONGRATS!

    Stop on over and pick up a button if you'd like!
    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-picks-picnic-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels