Secret Ingredient Broccoli Soup

 
Figuring out ways to outsmart unhealthy additives to food has been something I enjoyed doing off and on for the past 9-10 years. I've definitely fallen 'off the wagon' a time or two in those years but it's still always there in the back of my mind and so I get back on again.
 
Confession: I have trouble staying focused once I feel like I know how to do something. I enjoy a new challenge, hence the reason for falling off said wagon. Does that even make sense?
 
Yesterday I had an inspiration like that and couldn't wait to try it. I love Broccoli Soup but the flour and Velveeta Cheese that is normally used for thickening are two things currently on my naughty list. I don't purchase Velveeta unless, well... never... if I can help it!
 
I had a few Avocados in the fridge full of healthy fats and friendly as ever. I decided to use one of those to thicken my soup and see what happens. I was pleased with the outcome. I hope you try it and enjoy it too!!
 
Let me know if you do!
 
1½-2 cups steamed broccoli
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons chopped Onion
1 cup Chicken Broth
½ Avocado
3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper, to taste
 
Optional Toppings:
Cheddar Cheese
Bacon Bits
Hard Boiled Egg
 
Saute onion in butter till tender and beginning to caramelize. Put into blender along with ½ avocado, chicken broth, and most of the broccoli. Blend until smooth or almost smooth.
 
Pour back into saucepan and heat through. Add the heavy cream and stir. Season to taste.
 
This makes approximately two servings. Yesterday I enjoyed a serving with cheese and bacon bits.
 
This morning, yes for breakfast, I added a hard boiled egg and a little cheese. 
 
Delicious and satisfying!! 
 
 
♥ Hope you all have a wonderful Day!♥
 
Linked to:

Comments

  1. wow...what a great idea! The sounds looks yummy....and it's a beautiful green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks nice and green and creamy. I'll definitely give this nutritious soup a try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocado with broccoli! Yum. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Martha. I didn't expect avocado to be the secret ingredient! Great way to add richness and creaminess without all the bad stuff. Very clever! Thank you for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this and LOVE it! Thanks for the recipe. Linked it back to you.

    http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/2014/02/secret-ingredient-broccoli-soup.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels