Soft Pretzel Ham and Cheese - Pepperoni and Cheese Wraps



Last weekend our oldest son was playing in a basketball tournament and the lunch stand there had some pretzel wraps on their menu. I decided to give them a try tonight because we all enjoy the soft pretzel dough wrapped around a good quality hot dog (click here for the Pretzel Dog recipe) and I figured the kids would enjoy something fun for supper. They are easy to make and turned out well. There are lots of flavor options. I chose Ham and Cheese and Pepperoni and Cheese tonight.

 
I discovered that it's necessary to roll it thin because once you start folding it bulks up and I like to be able to taste the filling and not just the dough.

I found an Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzel Copycat recipe on Pinterest from Cooking Classy and decided to use that one instead of the one I usually use. I liked it a lot! I would like to make some in a smaller size sometime but because we have mostly boys who would eat two small ones instead of one big one I figured the bigger ones work pretty well for now. :)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons Instant Yeast
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, maybe a bit more
2 teaspoons salt
 
¼ cup baking soda
2 cups warm water
Combine and use for dipping or brushing before baking.
 
coarse salt, to taste
 
6 Tbsp butter, melted,
for brushing
 
Heat milk to 110 degrees. Place yeast, sugar, and butter into a mixer bowl. Pour warm milk over this and let rest, covered for a few minutes till sugar and butter dissolve and the yeast 'wakes up'.
 
I have a confession to make here. I completely forgot to add the butter. Didn't seem to matter, but I like the flavor it adds so I'm sure I'll use it next time.
 
Add the salt and flour and knead just until it forms a nice soft dough and there are no dough bits stuck to the side of the mixer bowl.
 
Place into a greased bowl. Spray oil on top and cover. Let rise in a warm place until double in size.
 
For one medium to large wrap use 4 oz. of dough and roll out thin with a rolling pin to about a 4 x 6 rectangle.
 
Place your filling down the center and fold over like a wrap. Before folding wet the edges a bit with the water/baking soda mixture. Just enough to make it damp so it sticks together.

 
Brush the entire wrap with the water mixture and sprinkle coarse salt over the top.

 
Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with butter. Yum!
 
Linking to:
 
                                                                     
 
The happy news of the day is that the basement floor is complete, the painting is mostly done, and the end of a long drawn out process is in sight! :) Don't you just hate it when what seems like a small project turns into a monster with lots of unanticipated things?! Yeah, me too! But I am going to just enjoy the feeling of having it completed and forget about the rest. I believe that to be the best course of action, don't you? :) We are all enjoying the lighter, brighter space to hang out in that's for sure! For those of you that are interested, pictures coming when I'm completely finished painting, promise.
 
Sneak Peek
 
The kiddos badly wanted to go skating tonight but didn't feel like going by themselves. They thought Lin had to come with them, but what with being on his knees all day working at floor installation that was about the last thing he wanted to do. But after resting for a bit, and with a foot rub from Serena (I think she was prepared to do what it takes to get him to go) he finally consented and took them to a neighboring pond. I think they had better make good use of the ice while they can. The predicted rains will mess it up.
 
Thanks for stopping in today. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
♥Blessings!♥
 
 

Comments

  1. I have never had a pretzel wrap, but they do look delish! The dough looks great and easy to work with, too! I can almost smell them!

    Love the sneak peek! Lovely! You know I love grey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were yummy :)

      Had to think of you when I chose the grey :) I have a sister that has a knack for decorating and such. I called her for advice and discovered we were both thinking of all the same colors so I figured between the three of us I couldn't go wrong with it :)

      Delete
  2. looks de-lish! wonder how it'd taste w/ wheat flour? some things just simply taste better w/ white! :) ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of trying fresh ground because that produces a softer dough than the store bought wheat flour but it was too late in the day for experiments. :) I needed it to turn out right the first time.

      How was the Chili Soup I sent over?

      Delete
  3. These would be perfect for Superbowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even my none-to-steady stomach growled when it saw that beautiful sandwich. Wow! Martha, you asked about European butter. They have a higher butterfat content that standard butter. The name is misleading because any butter that has a butterfat content of 83% is called European. You might be able to find the brand PULGRA in your grocery store. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!! these look simply amazing!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Small projects turning into monsters. That's exactly why my ugly pinkish-purple main bath has never been repainted. The color is just awful, but painting it will lead to so many other things. Anyway...the basement looks great!

    And so do these pretzel wraps! They will make my son very happy. Thank you for linking this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many pretzel wraps does this recipe yield?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels