Sweet Cherry and Almond Scones


I had some dark sweet cherries in the fridge that needed to be used, and I was hungry for something baked so I decided to try these scones. Yumm! They are delicious and tender and the cherries are delightful. The glaze is light and adds a yummy sweetness. The almond extract compliments the cherries very nicely. I will admit that I had my fair share of these ☺, but I couldn't get my husband and children to eat them because of the almonds, so I gifted some to a friend. I knew better than to keep them all. ☺

1 cup dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
2½ cups pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 400°. In a food processor combine all the dry ingredients. Pulse to mix.


Cut butter into small squares.


Mix until butter is completely incorporated and the crumbs are very fine.


Make a well in the center.

In a seperate bowl combine the sour cream, egg, and almond extract.


Stir until smooth, then pour into the well in the center of the dry ingredients and gently stir until combined.




Add the almonds before you are done combining to avoid over mixing. Add the cherries.


Stir gently and not over much so the cherries don't bleed. The cherries I used were very ripe so I had placed them in the freezer after they were chopped for about a half hour before I was ready to use them. This helped them stay nice while I mixed them and also while I patted the dough in a circle and cut them.


Pat the dough in a circle that is about 1 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut them and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet leaving plenty of room between them so they don't touch as they spread and bake.


Sprinkle with course sugar. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Drizzle with almond glaze when slightly cooled.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
½-1 Tablespoon milk, just enough to make it the right consistency to drizzle over the scones

Stir together till smooth.

Be Blessed!

Linking to:

Comments

  1. Yum! I love scones and the combo of cherries and almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so a scone lover!! I must try this yummy sounding recipe!! Thank you

    Bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sounds delicious! Cherries are in season right now too, so these would be perfect! Thanks for linking them to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound awesome! I so adore scones...and cherry...YUM-O! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Waving from Our Back Porch,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Martha for the gift, just wished I wasn't so sick when you brought them. I did try them a day or two later. Definitely needs the icing. Couldn't get hubby or children to try them. So I put them in freezer to enjoy again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Winner again...woo Martha these looks just great. And guess WHAT??? I collect scone recipes TOO!!!! I dream to open my own tea room someday, this is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How divine! Cherry and almond are a match made in heaven. Your scones look incredible!

    Martha, it's such a pleasure to have you be a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesdays at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I wanted to thank you for visiting Cast Party Wednesday last week. I would love it if came back tomorrow and shared more of your recipes with me.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creamy Finger Jello

Black Raspberry Vanilla Milkshake

Seasoned Pretzels